Considering gas devices could be a good option to reduce your bills while experiencing gains in comfort, convenience and efficiency.
Gas easy to extract in the United States meaning that prices are low and stable, and gas is looked upon as the cleanest non-renewable energy source, thus, it can be regarded as the greener option.
If you already have gas installed in your house, or are building a new home you might think about the possible gains of choosing natural gas and gas household appliances. Read more about gas appliances here from Sparks Appliance Repair:
What is a Gas Appliance?
A natural gas device uses natural gas as the primary power source. These goods present a practicable alternative for electrically powered devices for heating your house, heating water, heating food and even air conditioning and drying your clothes.
Usually you will still need to supply electricity to a gas appliance. The amount of electric needed depends on how the appliance works. E.g, a natural gas stove can still be used even when there is a power outage, whereas a natural gas dryer still needs electricity.
A List of Home Appliances That Run On Gas
Gas has a great many purposes in your home.
Heating your home with natural gas generally costs less than heating using electrical appliances. Savings can be as much as 50% depending on your energy costs and efficiency.
Gas makes the air hotter in a shorter time and is more reliable.This is a huge benefit if you experience regular power outages in the winter
An Indoor Fire
Aside from heating gas is great for having a fire in your home. With a gas fire, you still get all the ambiance and plenty of warmth without the hassle.
Gas air conditioning can be an adept method to cool your home, even if there is a power failure.
Natural gas air conditioning requires a higher initial investment but is more cost effective on an ongoing basis meaning a better return on your investment. Superior efficiency also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
There are two styles of natural gas water heaters, on demand and tank. Natural gas heaters are faster and more fuel efficient than electric water boilers. Tankless water heaters also provide a continuous supply even with high demand. Which is useful if you have a big family that enjoys long showers.
The fact that gas lines are almost always dug into the ground and sheltered from the elements ensures you will still have hot water even when there’s a power outage.
Everyone has heard the saying “cooking with gas”. A great marketing line created to link gas with effectiveness and efficiency.
Regardless of the etiology the phrase stuck because it is accurate. The majority of chefs and amateur cooks choose natural gas for the fact that they can vary the heat, and natural gas stoves provide a less wasteful way of converting energy into heat.
Natural gas might not be the first thing you think of when it comes to laundry, however, gas dryers have many advantages. They dry clothes a few degrees hotter thus clothes dry in a shorter time.
Natural Gas doesn’t just have indoor uses. When it comes to outdoor entertaining, natural gas is a popular choice for lighting and food prep and even to heat your spa.
delight friends before they even get out of the car with outdoor lighting, keep them toasty even when the temperature falls and get a meal prepared outside at the perfect temperature, when you like, and without the having to go to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like indoor heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as rapidly as an electric equivalent. And gas fire pits set the mood as well as providing comfort for perfect outside entertaining.
Advantages of Natural Gas Appliances
As in all things there are pros and cons to gas devices. First up the benefits.
- Gas is generally less expensive than electricity thus lowering your annual utility costs.
- Natural gas home appliances tend to be more efficient making them more sustainable for your wallet and for the environment.
- Natural gas is an eco-friendly option as it is viewed as the cleanest of the fossil fuels, emitting around 27% less C02 than oil and 45% less carbon dioxide than coal.
- Natural gas lines are generally more reliable and less susceptible to damage or interruption This means you can continue to heat your home even if the power goes out.
Cons of Gas Home Appliances
- Natural gas appliances generally are subject to a higher initial outlay. Both the ticket price of the appliance and the cost to install are likely to be higher for a gas appliance when comparing to electrical goods.
- Installing a new gas line can be expensive. The amount will vary depending on a number of factors, so it is worth talking to your supplier before deciding.
- Having a natural gas line moved or extended can also require a big outlay so this should always be included in any cost benefit analysis.
- Safety comes first and carbon monoxide can be an issue if gas appliances are not installed correctly or not maintained. making sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm is essential is you use natural gas in your home.
Should You Choose Natural Gas?
Making the decision between natural gas and electricity is not easy and the best choice for you might not be the optimal choice for everyone.
Currently natural gas is almost always cheaper than electricity, so if the price is your main motivation this can be a major factor in the decision-making process. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have natural gas, retrospectively installing natural gas comes at a cost. With this in mind, getting a quote for installing a gas line if you don’t already have one is a good first step.
Another key advantage of natural gas is that you are less likely to get interruptions in supply. If power outages happen often in your area then having appliances that continue to work during power failures can count for a lot.
Lastly, the sustainability credentials of natural gas could be considered as relatively short term, as you can’t switch them to renewable sources in the same way you can electrical devices. Opting for renewable energy could be a better investment and more sustainable options in the long run.